Whole Wheat Applesauce Muffins
This item was inspired by Mark Bittman’s recipe for whole wheat muffins. I’ve added freshly ground nut meal, apple jelly and a few spices.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (KA)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons apple jelly (melted and cooled to lukewarm)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup coarsely ground nut meal (walnut, almond, brazil nut)
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1 egg (room-temp)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (room-temp)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (room-temp)
Beat butter and sugar at medium speed for five minutes. Add egg and continue to beat only until blended. Stir in melted apple jelly and buttermilk. Mix thoroughly.
Sift together dry ingredients, add nut meal and currants to coat.
Carefully fold in wet and dry ingredients, folding, not mixing.
Fill muffin cups 3/4’s the way, full, and bake for approximately 22-25 minutes in an oven that has been preheated to 375 degrees. Do not over bake.
*Disclaimer: I’ve had trouble linking directly to Mark Bittman’s recipe. To view it, please copy and paste the following link into your browser: